Vegas on the Potomac: MGM National Harbor Opens Today Overlooking Nation's Capital
NATIONAL HARBOR, Md., (December 8, 2016) – Prominently situated on a hill overlooking the Potomac, MGM National Harbor will open its doors to the public at 11 p.m. tonight, introducing the first luxury gaming resort to the Capital Region. The debut marks an entirely new generation of entertainment and hospitality projects in the U.S.: a fully integrated resort in the heart of a major metropolitan area.
Built as a resort for the world but with a strong rooting in its community, MGM National Harbor is a destination distinct to its setting with monumental architecture inspired by the historical region. Stunning views of the Washington Monument, National Mall, U.S. Capitol, Potomac River, National Harbor and Old Town Alexandria are complemented by the lush woodlands and rolling riverscape of Prince George’s County, where the resort is located.
Delivering a new experience to the East Coast and Mid-Atlantic, the $1.4 billion MGM National Harbor is more than simply a casino or hotel – it is an entertainment destination offering an unrivaled collection of attractions:
- Exclusive restaurants by celebrated chefs José Andrés, Marcus Samuelsson, and Michael and Bryan Voltaggio complementing an array of specialty and quick casual dining with 15 concepts in all
- The Theater at MGM National Harbor, an intimate 3,000-seat entertainment venue delivering A-list performers normally reserved for arena-sized settings, including Bruno Mars, Cher, Ricky Martin, Sting, Lionel Richie, Duran Duran and many others
- Thoughtfully curated art program integrated throughout the resort featuring more than 70 local and national artists including Alice Aycock and John Safer, in addition to a sculpted iron archway designed by legendary folk artist Bob Dylan – his first permanent display of public art
- The Conservatory at MGM National Harbor – a spectacular 15,000-square-foot floral attraction created by acclaimed designer Ed Libby that changes seasonally. The first exhibit, “Holiday Reflections,” features more than 150,000 flowers
- Two original nightlife concepts from Clique Hospitality, pioneers of the Vegas nightlife scene, introducing the region’s first tableside mixology program
- Two-level 27,000-square-foot Spa & Salon with 11 treatment rooms, a full service salon, rustic barber shop, couples’ suites, hydrotherapy, a Vichy room, an exclusive wellness program by Clarins and more
- An eclectic retail district with multiple offerings ranging from Fink’s Rolex, Stitched and Ella Rue to the first standalone boutique for SJP by Sarah Jessica Parker
- Boutique hotel with 308 well-appointed rooms, including 74 suites ranging in size from 400 to 3,210 square feet and featuring floor-to-ceiling windows with magnificent views of the surrounding region
- A 125,000-square-foot casino featuring an Asiam gaming pit with 16 Macau-style Baccarat tables; more than 3,300 premium slot machines, including many first-to-market technology products; 126 table games; 39-table poker room; a luxury high-limit gaming room; and semi-private salons
"This level of private investment is unprecedented in the region, and so is what we’ve built,” said Jim Murren, Chairman and CEO of MGM Resorts International. “MGM Resorts has long promoted global trade and travel – and MGM National Harbor will be a significant driver of both, strengthening Washington, D.C. as a tourist magnet."
Lorenzo Creighton, President of MGM National Harbor said, "MGM Resorts is bringing the same high standards for hospitality, service and quality to Maryland that we are recognized for in our hotels in Las Vegas and around the world. Furthermore, the resort’s proximity to the national’s capital provides us with a rich, diverse community that has enabled us to build a dynamic workforce that reflects our commitment to inclusion."
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, Senate President Mike Miller and Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III will commemorate the opening with Jim Murren and Lorenzo Creighton, among others, at a press conference this morning at 11 a.m. celebrating the 4,000 full-time jobs the resort brings to the area. The resort’s parking garage will open at 10:30 p.m., and the property will begin to welcome guests at 11 p.m.
Room reservations can be made for December 10 and beyond via mgmnationalharbor.com or (844) 646-6847. Nightly room rates start at $299 and suite rates begin at $399.
For additional information and high-resolution images of MGM National Harbor, please visit the MGM National Harbor digital newsroom or follow on Facebook and Twitter.
About MGM National Harbor
The newest addition to the MGM Resorts International (NYSE:MGM) portfolio, MGM National Harbor’s unrivaled setting offers stunning panoramic views of the eastern shore of the Potomac River in Maryland. The $1.4 billion resort sits a short distance from Washington, D.C. to the north and historic sites, including George Washington’s Mount Vernon estate across the river in Virginia. The 24-story, 308-room resort features premier amenities and experiences for locals as well as visitors from around the world including a dynamic casino with over 125,000 square feet of space that includes slots, table games and poker; a world-class spa and salon; an entertainment theater with flexible seating for up to 3,000; high-end branded retail; 50,000 square feet of meeting space; and restaurants from renowned local, national and international chefs.
Kirvin Doak Communications