T-Mobile Arena Celebrates Grand Opening Tonight With The Killers, Wayne Newton and Shamir
World-Class Arena Brings Unmatched Entertainment Experience to Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS (April 6, 2016) – Setting the stage for the next era of Las Vegas entertainment, T-Mobile Arena will light up The Strip magenta tonight for the first time, with 20,000 fans partying to the sounds of Las Vegas favorites. The internationally acclaimed band with local roots, The Killers; Mr. Las Vegas himself, Wayne Newton; and Las Vegas-born pop artist Shamir will join a sold-out crowd to kick off an extensive schedule of concerts, sporting events, award shows and more.
“This is an exciting time for Las Vegas and everyone involved in the development of T-Mobile Arena; tonight we are opening a world-class venue that we believe will become Las Vegas’ new center of entertainment,” said Jim Murren, Chairman and CEO of MGM Resorts International. “Las Vegas has long been known as the Entertainment Capital of the World, and with all the development we’ve unveiled this week in the neighborhood, you can see our deep commitment to ensuring Las Vegas holds that title for generations to come.”
Designed by Populous, T-Mobile Arena incorporated or enhanced the best features from renowned venues throughout the country for an unparalleled entertainment venue in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip. The joint venture between MGM Resorts and AEG has the largest arena capacity in the city, expansive balconies curving around the building’s exterior and customizable spaces, making the arena perfect for any type of event.
Dan Beckerman, President and CEO of AEG said, “We are confident that T-Mobile Arena will transform the entertainment landscape in Las Vegas, further elevating the city’s status as one of the iconic sports and entertainment destinations in the world. Bringing together the knowledge, experience and assets of AEG and MGM Resorts International, T-Mobile Arena will become the region’s must-play venue and one of the world’s most sought after destinations for live events. This is the right time, the right location and the right partnership for this groundbreaking arena.”
John Legere, President and CEO of T-Mobile said, “We un-leashed music and entertainment streaming on your smartphone and now we’re taking it to the next level with T-Mobile Arena. T-Mobile customers will always be treated like VIPs with priority access and special benefits - right in the heart of Las Vegas.”
Experiences at T-Mobile Arena aren’t limited to what’s inside its walls. Event-day possibilities extend into Toshiba Plaza, a two-acre entertainment space fronting the arena. Featuring three stages, four 40-foot-towers with LED screens, accent lighting and speakers, and the best view of the arena’s stunning 200-foot-wide mesh LED wall, the plaza is ideal for concerts, broadcasts and much more. The excitement continues into The Park, the adjacent outdoor district that debuted April 4. Guests coming to an arena event can start their evening with a fun, casual culinary lineup featuring inviting indoor/outdoor spaces, iconic art and live entertainment. The Park serves as the gateway to T-Mobile Arena from Las Vegas Boulevard.
T-Mobile Arena and Toshiba Plaza will mark their momentous openings later today with a ribbon cutting and press conference attended by executives, local politicians, community influencers and media from around the world.
Scott Maccabe, President and CEO of Toshiba America Business Solutions and Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions said, “It is fitting that such an amazing, state-of-the-art sports and entertainment venue as T-Mobile Arena is opening in the Entertainment Capital of the World and the team at Toshiba is pleased to play a role in this venture. We are excited about having the opportunity to include our innovative display technology not only throughout the arena, but also in the creation of two of the arena’s signature elements, Toshiba Plaza and Vegas Interactive by Toshiba. It is our hope that these two areas will enhance the fan experience for generations of T-Mobile Arena patrons.”
With innovative amenities both inside and out, the arena translates signature Las Vegas moments into one avant-garde environment that will be home to the biggest events in sports and entertainment.
T-MOBILE ARENA HIGHLIGHTS:
- Entertainment: After tonight’s festivities, T-Mobile Arena’s grand opening week continues with a T-Mobile-hosted Opening Celebration Concert from Nicki Minaj and special guest Ariana Grande on April 7, and the first stop of the celebrated Guns N’ Roses reunion tour April 8-9. The month finishes strong with the Harlem Globetrotters, George Strait and Billy Joel. Following is an impressive schedule including Garth Brooks, the Dixie Chicks and Carrie Underwood with more announcements coming soon.
- Sports: As part of the more than 100 events anticipated per year, sports will play a major role at the arena including the much-anticipated UFC 200 and PBR World Finals already scheduled for 2016. T-Mobile Arena was designed from the beginning with the possibility of playing home to a professional sports team. Well-thought-out locker rooms created specifically for NHL and NBA teams and plenty of multipurpose space allow for the venue to hold a wide variety of sporting events, from individual games to multi-day tournaments. Configurable telescopic seating in the lower bowl can create unobstructed sightlines for any sport: shallow for basketball, steep for hockey and a hybrid of both for UFC fights. The towering three-story scoreboard hanging above the event floor provides crisp, high-definition video of the action - and reaction.
- Premium Suites: The exceptional collection of premium seating at T-Mobile Arena creates experiences across all levels. At one end of the arena, Opera Boxes and Terrace Tables provide a nightclub-inspired private viewing area for four-to-six guests. Forty-four Luxury Suites line the third level with individual kitchenettes, suite attendants, sofa-style banquettes and seating for up to 20 guests. Eight ultra-luxe 700-square-foot Event Level Suites with private porte cocheres for direct access are hidden away beneath the lower bowl right next to the action with satellite programming, a private bar, restroom and 16 premium lower-level seats. Two-way mirrors lining one wall provide an insider’s perspective to witness a sports team or performer making their way to the floor from the locker rooms or dressing room.
- Mixology: As the first resident celebrity mixologist for an arena, Tony Abou-Ganim has crafted an impressive beverage program that provides boutique cocktail service on a massive scale throughout every level of the arena. A legion of 100 Bar Chefs hand-selected by Abou-Ganim has been trained in the art of the perfect cocktail. Craft cocktails on tap, such as the Atomic Fizz, Rum Punch and Scratch Margarita, will be available at every concession stand and bar and always mixed to perfection. To complement each drink, an artisanal ice program and professional “Ice Breakers” are in place to hand-carve spheres, cubes, diamonds and blocks in the Goose Island Bar. Those on the Suite Level can select from the Mojito cart; a DIY cocktail box with instructions by Abou-Ganim himself; or indulge in punch service, a fresh take on Las Vegas’ standard bottle service. Event Level suite owners will meet with Abou-Ganim to design a personalized cocktail program, complete with their own barrel-aged spirit of choice.
- Dining: Levy Restaurants gives guests the opportunity to indulge in their favorite arena bites and raises the bar with unexpected menu items. A Poke Bar is offered alongside herb-roasted grilled sausage on a pretzel bun. Premium clubs on the Event and Suite Levels feature even more elevated delicacies such as caviar service, freshly sliced charcuterie and hand-carved pork hoison banh mi. On the main concourse, Shake Shack serves up its coveted Shack Burger and other menu items, while Vegas-local Pizza Forte dishes out wood-fired New York-style pizzas.
- Lounges: Those with seats on the Event and Suite Levels have access to the arena’s most exclusive lounges. Abou-Ganim has designed specialty cocktail menus with premium spirits for the Patron and Optum Lounges on the Event Level. Jack Daniel’s Lounge and Bud Light Lounge provide Suite Level guests a selection of signature cocktails in a secluded setting with an incredible view of the action. The Gastro Pubs for Club Level guests on the main concourse feature delectable duck fat frites, hand-carved prime rib sandwiches and even a dessert cart full of six-layer cakes, gourmet cookies and nostalgic candy.
- Nightlife: Hyde Lounge at T-Mobile Arena guarantees a one-of-a-kind experience with an 18,000-square-foot nightclub on the arena’s top floor that extends over the crowd below. Triangular Tower Clubs on each side – the Grey Goose Nest and Stella Artois Loft – provide unrivaled viewing opportunities as a DJ delivers the energy to transform each event into a party. Bottle service and gourmet small plates and entrees round out the experience.
- Fan Engagement: T-Mobile Arena patrons are sure to embrace the fan engagement zone, Vegas Interactive by Toshiba, located on the main concourse. The area features Toshiba digital signage technology, including two 12-foot by 7-foot LED video walls, two 55-inch and one 65-inch Virtuoso interactive touch displays. Arena concierge apps within Toshiba’s Virtuoso displays allow fans to easily locate their seats, learn about upcoming T-Mobile Arena events and access detailed information and reviews on nearby restaurants and bars. Patrons interacting with Toshiba’s 65-inch display may also have their photo taken with ‘3D digital doubles’ of iconic Las Vegas figures through an augmented reality app, MoFoto, which is compatible with Apple® iOS and Android™ smartphones.
- Technology: As you approach T-Mobile Arena, the first thing you notice is the incredible mesh LED screen facing The Strip. Without hindering the view of guests inside, the 200-foot-long screen can display anything from animated video to live performances. And once inside, T-Mobile Arena has ensured each guest will be able to live stream, post, text and capture every moment of the action with an optimized wireless network and charging stations throughout the arena. T-Mobile customers will experience blazing fast speeds on America’s fastest 4G LTE Network throughout the arena and plaza and for everyone else, there is access to free high-speed Wi-Fi provided by Cox Business on 550 hubs throughout the venue. Guests in certain areas also can use the network for one-touch ordering from their seats with provided tablets.
- Sustainability: MGM Resorts and AEG have proven a venue of this size also can be environmentally sustainable. To construct the arena, which was built in accordance with the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED® Gold standards, 7,000 tons of recycled steel were used and 40 percent of the other materials were sourced directly from neighboring states. LED light fixtures throughout the arena reduce energy needs by 60 percent and greenscapes, cool roofs and solar-reflective materials strategically deter heat island effects and maintain cooler temperatures.
- Design: T-Mobile Arena’s design captures the defining elements of Las Vegas: the electricity of The Strip and the purple and red hues of the surrounding desert and mountain landscape. Sweeping, dramatic balconies on multiple levels framed by grand glass walls and the towering mesh LED screen exemplify the sophistication and boldness of the city. Copper siding on the exterior and touches throughout the venue bring the design to the desert with hues reminiscent of Las Vegas sunsets.
About T-Mobile Arena
T-Mobile Arena is a privately funded indoor arena. The 20,000-seat venue, located on the Las Vegas Strip between New York-New York and Monte Carlo, will host more than 100 events annually, including UFC, boxing, hockey, basketball and other sporting events, major headline entertainment, awards shows, family shows and special events. Las Vegas’ newest landmark features 50 luxury suites, more than two dozen private loge boxes, complete broadcast facilities, and other specially designed exclusive hospitality offerings and fan amenities destined to create a guest experience second to none. Toshiba Plaza, an adjacent two-acre outdoor entertainment space, features performance stages, a variety of video screens and other interactive content and display areas. Industry-leading architect Populous designed T-Mobile Arena to meet the U.S. Green Building Council’s standards for LEED® Gold Certification. T-Mobile Arena is a joint venture between AEG and MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM). For more information visit the T-Mobile Arena website at t-mobilearena.com.
Michael Roth, AEG
Vice President, Communications
Scott Ghertner, MGM Resorts International
Public Relations Director
Rick Havacko, Toshiba America Business Solutions
Public Relations Specialist