Swim Into Shark Reef Aquarium’s All-New Adventure “Undersea Explorer”
Family Friendly VR Attraction from Immotion, Global Leader in Immersive Entertainment, Opens at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas with Health & Safety Protocol in Place
LAS VEGAS (September 1, 2020) – Sharks. Humpback whales. Underwater wildlife. Guests will get an up-close-and-personal look at these mysterious creatures with the “Undersea Explorer Virtual Reality Theater,” an all-new attraction from Immotion. The newest addition to Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay, this immersive experience center features state-of-the-art, motion platform VR technology transporting guests to the ocean’s depths.
These experiences, created by Immotion’s Emmy® Award-winning documentary team, presents live-action educational and adventurous content guided by marine biologists and wildlife experts. With a mission to support marine conservation through the creation of engaging events, “Undersea Explorer” features cutting-edge technology syncing 360-degree stereoscopic VR with dynamic motion seating for the ultimate below-the-sea adventure.
As part of the “Undersea Explorer” exhibition, attendees can explore various experiences including:
- “Shark Dive” – “Swim” with marine biologist Matthew Smukall and Shark Whisperer Mike Dornellas as they dive among tiger sharks and hammerheads. The dive features the world’s first VR POV Shark Cam from a camera mounted on a shark’s dorsal fin!
- “Swimming with Humpbacks” – Follow marine biologist/cameraman Jeff Hester as he sets out to learn about the behavior of mother humpback whales and their calves. Track a newborn and its mom undersea and see how the behavior of the mother evolves as the calf matures.
- Take a “Jawsome” selfie in the hyper-realistic shark cage, learn about the amazing anatomy of the humpback whale, track the real-time movement of sharks around the world and learn the secrets of the humpback whale songs – all activities guests can experience in the virtual undersea adventure pre-show area.
“At a time when getting out of the house feels like a luxury, it’s a thrill to open our doors and let the public experience ‘Undersea Explorer,’” said Rod Findley, Group Commercial Director of Immotion. “We’ve created a safe, educational and adventurous way to explore underwater wildlife and hope that guests become passionate about oceanic conservation through this unique VR experience.”
Health & Safety
- The “Undersea Explorer” pre-show activities and lobby abide by the six-foot physical distancing protocols.
- Theater seats are cleaned and the VR goggles are sanitized in a UV light machine after each viewing.
- Hand-sanitizing stations are available throughout the venue.
For more information about MGM Resorts’ Health & Safety Plan, please visit mgmresorts.com.
“Undersea Explorer” is included in the admission to Shark Reef Aquarium which is open 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily. To manage capacity limits and provide for physical distancing, Shark Reef Aquarium has timed ticket entry. Tickets can be purchased online and information on pricing is available here. Advance reservations are recommended. Must be 5 years or older to experience the “Undersea Explorer Virtual Reality Theater.”
To learn more, visit https://immotion.co.uk, and follow Immotion on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
# # #
Immotion Group is the global leader in immersive educational entertainment. By combining educational VR experiences with state-of-the-art motion-platform technology, Immotion gives zoos, aquariums, museums and science centers, a fresh new attraction that excites and engages visitors of all ages. All immersive solutions come fully themed and require no upfront CAPEX. Scalable from 4 seats to a 40+ seat VR theater complete with an immersive interactive pre-show area, Immotion’s cinematic experiences transport guests to worlds beyond their imagination. Creating all content from its Los Angeles and UK studios, the Immotion team is committed to providing its partners with the best experiences on the market today -- 100% guided by scientists/ conservation experts and directed by Emmy Award-winning directors. Immotion is taking immersive educational entertainment to the next level.
ABOUT MANDALAY BAY
Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino is set on 120 lush acres featuring Mandalay Bay Beach, a tropical pool paradise with real sand. The Mandalay Bay Events Center, award-winning restaurants, exhilarating entertainment, unique shopping, Shark Reef Aquarium and the 2-million-square-foot Mandalay Bay Convention Center combine to make Mandalay Bay a distinctive Las Vegas resort destination. The resort offers three distinct hotel experiences: Mandalay Bay with 3,211 luxurious rooms and suites reflecting a modern tropical ambiance; Four Seasons Hotel, a AAA Five Diamond hotel offering 424 rooms and suites; and the luxury all-suite Delano Las Vegas. Mandalay Bay is operated by MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM). For more information and reservations, visit mandalaybay.com, call toll free at (877) 632-7800 or find us on Facebook and Twitter.