New York-New York Hotel & Casino's 11th Annual St. Baldrick's Day Head-Shaving Event Raises More Than $350,000 For Childhood Cancer Research, March 7
200+ Volunteers Braved the Shave at St. Baldrick’s Day Head-Shaving Event
LAS VEGAS (March 10, 2020) – Celebrating more than a decade of raising funds and awareness for childhood cancer research, New York-New York Hotel & Casino raised more than $350,000 to benefit the St. Baldrick’s Foundation during its 11th annual head-shaving event on Saturday, March 7. Throughout the day, 200+ volunteers shaved their heads at the hands of Las Vegas’ biggest celebrities including A’ja Wilson from Las Vegas Aces, casts from top shows like Zumanity by Cirque du Soleil, and ABSINTHE, ATOMIC SALOON SHOW, and OPIUM by Spiegelworld, the men of Thunder From Down Under, cast members of FANTASY and many others.
Highlights from this year’s event include:
- MGM Resorts International employee John McManus was recognized as the organization’s largest individual fundraiser to date, surpassing the $1 million mark. McManus was applauded for his continued support and efforts over the last six years to help raise funds for childhood cancer research.
- Zombie Burlesque cast member Enoch Augustus made a special appearance to shave the head of longtime supporter and Las Vegas Review-Journal entertainment columnist John Katsilometes, whose annual birthday celebration is dedicated to New York-New York’s fundraising efforts.
- The Las Vegas Raiders’ Raiderettes, Vegas Golden Knights mascot Chance and the Las Vegas Aviators’ Spruce and The Aviator were in attendance to meet and take photos with fans and to cheer on volunteers as they braved the shave.
- The all-day event was co-hosted by Vegas Golden Knights in-arena hosts Big D and Mondays Dark creator and host Mark Shunock along with MGM Resorts employees James Healey, Mark Grzankowski and Jeff Ryan.
Throughout the day, Las Vegas’ biggest names in entertainment and sports turned out to serve as celebrity head-shavers, including:
- Las Vegas Aces standout A’ja Wilson
- Cast members from OPIUM
- Cast members from ABSINTHE
- Cast members from ATOMIC SALOON SHOW
- The men of Chippendales
- Tape Face
- Cast of Zumanity by Cirque du Soleil
- "Ross” and “Rachel” from Friends! The Musical Parody
- “DD” and “Lt. Post” from Marriage Can Be Murder
- Cast of WOW – Las Vegas Spectacular
- Cast of Potted Potter
- The men of Thunder From Down Under
- Cast members from FANTASY
- Cast members from CELESTIA
- New York-New York’s Coyote Ugly Girls
New York-New York’s annual St. Baldrick’s event raises funds and awareness for the St. Baldrick’s Foundations efforts in the fight against childhood cancers. The funds generated at this event are crucial in supporting research focused on improving treatment options and finding cures for all types of childhood cancers. For more information, visit StBaldricks.org.
About New York-New York
Inspired by the famous energy and landmarks of the iconic original, New York-New York offers all the excitement of the hotel’s namesake, from the provocative and sensuous Cirque du Soleil production Zumanity and the thrilling Roller Coaster to tantalizing restaurants including Gallagher’s Steakhouse and Nine Fine Irishmen, an authentic pub offering the best of Irish drink, food and music. A dynamic outdoor experience features fun and unique dining and retail destinations including a two-story flagship Hershey’s Chocolate World, Shake Shack, Tom’s Urban, Swatch, and Stupidiotic. New York-New York is operated by MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM). For more information and reservations, visit newyorknewyork.com, call toll free at (866) 815-4365 or find us on Facebook and Twitter.
About St. Baldrick’s Foundation
The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives. St. Baldrick’s coordinates its signature head-shaving events worldwide where participants collect pledges to shave their heads in solidarity with kids with cancer, raising money to fund research. Since 2005, St. Baldrick’s has awarded more than $127 million to support lifesaving research, making the Foundation the largest private funder of childhood cancer research grants. St. Baldrick’s funds are granted to some of the most brilliant childhood cancer research experts in the world and to younger professionals who will be the experts of tomorrow. Funds awarded also enable hundreds of local institutions to participate in national pediatric cancer clinical trials, and the new International Scholar grants train researchers to work in developing countries. For more information about the St. Baldrick’s Foundation please call 1.888.899.BALD or visit StBaldricks.org.
# # #
Thomas Judd / Taylor Pickle
Kirvin Doak Communications – 702.737.3100