MGM National Harbor Welcomes Cherry Blossom Season With Stunning Spring Conservatory Display, "Blossoms and Butterflies"
Whimsical creatures and well-crafted artistry bring the Tidal Basin to the entertainment destination
NATIONAL HARBOR, Md., (April 18, 2018) – MGM National Harbor is celebrating the return of the iconic Cherry Blossom season with a stunning Conservatory display and festive experiences including cherry blossom-infused spa treatments, craft cocktails and more.
Envisioned by designer Ed Libby, The Conservatory’s newest display, “Blossoms and Butterflies,” pays homage to the world-famous cherry blossom trees. The contemporary work is brought to life with more than 26,000 fresh flowers. Located on the first-floor atrium of the property, guests are greeted by a 40-foot-tall cherry blossom tree covered in artfully crafted bark. Beneath the tree, oversized blossoms surround its base along with an arrangement of gardenias, dusty millers and California ivies nestled beside a birch bridge positioned for spectacular photo opportunities.
As guests walk through the 15,000-square-foot space, they will find a hand-carved pink frog crouching beneath a tree. Inspired by “The Princess and the Frog,” he sits on a lily pad wearing a regal crown, awaiting a lucky guest to turn him into a prince with one kiss. A pond surrounds the charming amphibian along with a spectacular assortment of flowers. Visitors are encouraged to pose in just the right spot to try their luck in bringing life to this floral fairytale.
The final bed pulls inspiration from one of the Capital Region’s most storied landmarks. Featuring a replica of the massive cistern located just outside Union Station’s doors, a majestic waterfall cascades from the vase providing tranquil sounds of rushing water. Burrowed beneath a cherry blossom tree is an assortment of vibrant chrysanthemums and butterflies, one of which sits atop the flowing waters welcoming guests into the imaginative experience.
Guests can look up to see a bounty of beautiful butterflies and blossoms hanging from the 85-foot glass atrium. To complete the display, harmonious songs from chirping birds and whispering crickets envelop guests, immersing them in the playful elegance of spring.
The Conservatory at MGM National Harbor is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is complimentary to the public. Below are some fast facts about this awe-inspiring display:
Cherry Blossom Conservatory Fast Facts
- Display dates: March 24 – June 10
- 26,000: Flowers in the display
- 20 feet: Length of birch bridge
- 40 feet / 30 feet /24 feet: Height of cherry blossom tree
- 16 feet: Height of floral water fountain
- 24 feet: Length of three hanging branches
- 40: Number of the hanging cherry blossom flowers
- 5 feet: Length of frog prince
Additionally, MGM National Harbor has curated a variety of seasonal experiences for guests’ enjoyment, including:
- Cherry Blossom Tea by Tea Leaves available for purchase throughout the resort’s culinary portfolio through Saturday, June 9.
- Ginger and the Hotel Lobby Bar are offering the Blossom 1912, a seasonal cocktail infused with Cherry Blossom Tea by Tea Leaves and Ivy City Gin.
- The Spa and Salon at MGM National Harbor is currently featuring Cherry Blossom-inspired services, such as Cherry Blossom Vichy Rain Bundle and The Sweet Sakura Pedicure. With the Vichy Rain Bundle, guests can indulge in a floral delight with a Vichy Rain Body Polish featuring a signature sugar scrub and Shea butter cream. This treatment includes a complimentary full-size Cherry Blossom Scrub to take home. Additionally, the Sweet Sakura Pedicure incorporates a signature Shea butter scrub and cream and includes a complimentary full-size Cherry Blossom Shea Cream to take home.
- Guests are encouraged to try their luck at Blossom, the cherry blossom-inspired gaming and cocktail lounge on the casino floor open Monday – Thursday, Sunday from 1 p.m. – 4 a.m. and Friday – Saturday from 1 p.m. to 6 a.m.
To access high-resolution photos and learn more, please visit MGM National Harbor’s newsroom. Join the conversation on social media with @MGMNationalHarbor on Twitter and #Monumental.
About MGM National Harbor
The newest addition to the MGM Resorts International (NYSE:MGM) portfolio, MGM National Harbor has an unrivaled setting offering stunning panoramic views of the eastern shore of the Potomac River in Maryland. The $1.4 billion LEED® Gold Certified resort, which opened December 8, 2016, sits a short distance from Washington, D.C. to the north and historic sites, including George Washington’s Mount Vernon estate across the river in Virginia. The 24-story, 308-room resort features premier amenities and experiences for locals as well as visitors from around the world including a dynamic casino with over 125,000 square feet of space that includes slots, table games and poker; a world-class spa and salon; an entertainment theater with flexible seating for up to 3,000; high-end branded retail; 50,000 square feet of meeting space; and restaurants from renowned local, national and international chefs. For more information, visit mgmnationalharbor.com or follow on Facebook and Twitter.
MGM National Harbor