MGM GRAND DETROIT TO REOPEN AUGUST 7
Employee and Guest Health & Safety at Forefront of Resort’s Reopening
(Detroit, MI – July 30, 2020) – MGM Grand Detroit today announced its reopening date following closure earlier this year amidst the COVID-19 crisis. The property will reopen in a limited capacity to the public on Friday, August 7 at 10:00am. A hosted, invitation-only event will take place ahead of the public reopening. MGM Grand Detroit’s amenity offerings initially will be limited and do not include hotel rooms at this time. Additional venues, as well as the hotel, will open in the coming weeks and months.
“We are excited to reopen our doors and welcome back our guests and team members. These have been difficult and challenging times, but the Detroit community continues to weather these storms and will come back stronger,” said David Tsai, President of the Midwest Group, MGM Resorts. “I’m immensely proud of what our team has accomplished in these last four months to create a safer environment for our guests and employees, while still providing the premier gaming and entertainment experience MGM Grand Detroit is known for.”
Health & Safety
MGM Resorts’ comprehensive “Seven-Point Safety Plan” is a multi-layered set of protocols and procedures designed in conjunction with medical and scientific experts to mitigate the spread of the virus, protect customers and employees and rapidly respond to potential new cases. As time passes, the company will continue to evaluate and evolve its safety protocols. Key initiatives from the MGM Resorts plan, as well as protocols specific to MGM Grand Detroit, include:
- Employee screening, temperature checks and COVID-19 specific training
- Guest screening and temperature checks with limited casino entrance points
- Masks required in all public areas for both employees and guests (and provided free of charge)
- Smoking no longer permitted indoors, but in designated outdoor area only
- Physical distancing policy for all guests and employees, with floor guides serving as reminders
- Plexiglass barriers installed in areas where physical distancing presents challenges
- Standalone handwashing station designed by MGM Resorts and conveniently located on the casino floor
- Increased and enhanced routine cleaning based on CDC guidance, with electrostatic sprayers utilized in many large public areas to apply disinfectant efficiently
- Restaurant digital menus available to view on personal mobile devices via QR codes
- Virtual waiting lists for restaurant guests with text message notification when tables are ready
- MGM has compiled an internal team and processes to respond if a guest or employee tests positive for COVID-19. If a guest tests positive after visiting an MGM property, they are asked to alert the company through a special email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). The company will immediately report any positive test results to the local health department and assist with contact tracing to support health department investigators.
Per the Michigan Gaming Control Board, MGM Grand Detroit will initially reopen at 15% of legal capacity.
A glimpse at what guests can expect:
- HOTEL & SPA – MGM Grand Detroit’s hotel and spa will remain closed until a future date.
- GAMING – MGM Grand Detroit’s gaming floor, including slots, table games and the BetMGM Sportsbook, will be open. To promote physical distancing, numerous slot machines have been disabled, and plexiglass barriers have been installed at many of the table games. Poker will not be available during this first phase of reopening.
- DINING – TAP Sports Bar and National Coney Island (inside Breeze Dining Court) will be open for dining.
- PARKING/VALET – Complimentary self-parking will be available for guests; valet parking will not be operational at this time. Public access will be available via the self-park garage only.
Days and hours of operation at all venues will vary. For a full list of offerings, please visit mgmgranddetroit.com. MGM Grand Detroit will continue to work closely with medical experts and state officials to determine how to safely and appropriately offer more amenities and entertainment to guests.
About MGM Grand Detroit
The only Forbes Four-Star hotel in Detroit with the only Forbes Four-Star restaurant in Michigan, the AAA Four Diamond Award-winning MGM Grand Detroit is the city’s first and only downtown hotel, gaming and entertainment destination built from the ground up. The hotel features 400 guest rooms, including nine rooftop VIP suites and 56 opulent corner suites. Guests enjoy signature restaurants; casual dining options; lounges; sportsbook; the only Topgolf Swing Suite and the only resort-style spa in Southeast Michigan. More than 30,000 square feet of meeting space hosts everything from large corporate events to intimate black-tie affairs. MGM Grand Detroit is a wholly owned subsidiary of MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM). For more information, visit mgmgranddetroit.com or call toll free at (877) 888-2121.
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is an S&P 500® global entertainment company with national and international locations featuring best-in-class hotels and casinos, state-of-the-art meetings and conference spaces, incredible live and theatrical entertainment experiences, and an extensive array of restaurant, nightlife and retail offerings. MGM Resorts creates immersive, iconic experiences through its suite of Las Vegas-inspired brands. The MGM Resorts portfolio encompasses 29 unique hotel and destination gaming offerings in the United States and Macau, including some of the most recognizable resort brands in the industry such as Bellagio, MGM Grand, ARIA and Park MGM. The Company’s 50/50 venture, ROAR Digital LLC, offers U.S. sports betting and online gaming through market-leading brands, including BetMGM and partypoker. The Company is currently pursuing targeted expansion in Asia through the integrated resort opportunity in Japan. Through its “Focused on What Matters: Embracing Humanity and Protecting the Planet” initiative, MGM Resorts commits to creating a more sustainable future, while striving to make a bigger difference in the lives of its employees, guests, and in the communities where it operates. The global employees of MGM Resorts are proud of their company for being recognized as one of FORTUNE® Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies®. For more information, please visit us at www.mgmresorts.com. Please also connect with us @MGMResortsIntl on Twitter as well as Facebook and Instagram.
Forward Looking Statements
Statements in this release that are not historical facts are "forward-looking" statements and "safe harbor statements" that involve risks and/or uncertainties, including those described in MGM Resorts’ public filings with the SEC. MGM Resorts has based forward-looking statements on management’s current expectations and assumptions and not on historical facts. Examples of these statements include, but are not limited to, statements MGM Resorts makes regarding how and when its properties will re-open and its ability to mitigate the spread of the virus. These forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such forward-looking statements include the continued spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, the potential for additional future outbreaks of the virus, the general economic conditions and market conditions in the markets in which MGM Resorts operates and competition with other destination travel locations throughout the United States and the world, the design, timing and costs of expansion projects, risks relating to international operations, permits, licenses, financings, approvals and other contingencies in connection with growth in new or existing jurisdictions and additional risks and uncertainties described in MGM Resorts’ Form 10-K, Form 10-Q and Form 8-K reports (including all amendments to those reports). In providing forward-looking statements, MGM Resorts is not undertaking any duty or obligation to update these statements publicly as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law. If the Company updates one or more forward-looking statements, no inference should be drawn that it will make additional updates with respect to those other forward-looking statements.