“O” My! Bellagio Pâtisserie Debuts New Chocolate Sculpture in Celebration of Resort’s 20th Anniversary
Sculpture Images & B-Roll (Photo Credit: Al Powers for Bellagio)
“O” by Cirque du Soleil B-Roll (Zebra characters at 6:27 mark)
LAS VEGAS (October 12, 2018) – In celebration of Bellagio’s 20th anniversary, the resort’s renowned pastry team created a chocolate sculpture of the famous Zebra character from “O” by Cirque du Soleil. The exquisite theatrical production debuted exclusively at Bellagio on October 15, 1998, entertaining more than 16.3 million guests from around the world over two decades.
Inspired by the water-themed show, the chocolate sculpture weaves artistry, surrealism and romance together to symbolize the beauty of theater, bringing to life a breathtaking vision that reflects the award-winning spectacle. The delectable sculpture will be on display at Bellagio Pâtisserie through Chinese New Year.
- Chocolate Sculpture
- The sculpture took approximately 170 hours over four weeks to complete by two of Bellagio’s pastry chefs.
- The sculpture weighs approx. 70 lbs. and is just under 6 ft. tall.
- Two different chocolates, white chocolate for the Zebra and dark chocolate for the “O,” were used to create the sculpture.
- The majority of the chocolate came from South America, one of the top cocoa producers in the world.
- Nearly 55 lbs. of sugar was used to create the “pool” of water.
- To sustain the “pool” and to protect the sculpture from humidity while on display, a coat of gum paste was used to seal it.
- The stripes of the Zebra were painted by hand and took approximately 20 hours to complete.
- “O” by Cirque du Soleil
- The production’s title, “O,” was derived from the pronunciation of “eau,” the French word for water.
- “O” was inspired by the concept of infinity and the elegance of water’s pure form. “O” pays tribute to the beauty of performance and the theater.
- The cast of “O” features 77 performers that represent 21 countries around the world.
- “O” has the most Olympic athletes of any Cirque du Soleil show including a Gold, Silver and Bronze medalist.
- The actual “O” water pool is 25 feet deep and holds 1.5 million gallons of water.
Bellagio Pâtisserie is a European-style pastry shop specializing in cakes, crepes, sandwiches, pastries, coffee, fresh squeezed juices and a variety of gelato, sorbets and chocolates. Its signature feature is a glass-enclosed, floor-to-ceiling chocolate fountain—one of the largest in the world. The venue is open Monday to Thursday from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. and Friday to Sunday from 6 a.m. to midnight. To purchase tickets to “O” by Cirque du Soleil or for more information, visit Bellagio online.