New York-New York Hotel & Casino Raises More Than $400,000 for Childhood Cancer Research at St. Baldrick's Day Head-Shaving Event March 10, 2018
LAS VEGAS (March 13, 2018) –New York-New York Hotel & Casino raised a record-breaking amount of more than $400,000 to benefit St. Baldrick’s Foundation during its ninth annual head-shaving event on Saturday, March 10. Surpassing last year’s donation, New York-New York Hotel & Casino will give all proceeds from the event to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, supporting the organization’s mission to find promising cures and treatments for all childhood cancers. Celebrity head-shavers, Las Vegans and visitors gathered as more than 350 shavees shed their locks to raise funds for childhood cancer research.
Highlights from this year’s event include:
- MGM Resorts International Executive Vice President and General Counsel John McManus was a top donor for New York-New York Hotel & Casino’s St. Baldrick’s Day event, raising more than $200,000 for the cause. This is the third year he’s participated in the event, and this year, McManus challenged A.G. Burnett, a partner with McDonald Carano, to see who could raise more money. Onlookers awed as WNBA Las Vegas Aces player Moriah Jefferson helped shave McManus’ head.
- Former Vassiliadis Elementary School Principal Paul Catania and 58 members of the “Baldrick Boys” team from John W. Bonner Elementary School took turns in the barber chairs and braved a shave, including Team Captain and Founder Trey Lomax. This is the seventh consecutive year the Baldrick Boys have shaved their heads to help raise awareness for childhood cancer.
- Piff The Magic Dragon shaved Las Vegas Review-Journal entertainment writer John Katsilometes’ head. Additionally, Katsilometes’ 52nd birthday party contributed to the cause. Instead of gifts, Katsilometes accepted donations for his St. Baldrick’s Day fundraising page, generously donating more than $3,000.
- Cast members from New York-New York’s headlining show Zumanity by Cirque du Soleil shaved team members Ed Conte and Matt Sillett.
- Mark Shunock, host of MAGIC MIKE LIVE, in-arena host for the Las Vegas Golden Knights and owner of The Space, had fun with the crowd whilst emceeing by offering up money to the crowd to place roulette bets with winning funds to be donated to St. Baldrick’s Foundation.
Throughout the day, celebrities and notable personalities came out to show their support including:
- Moriah Jefferson of the Las Vegas Aces
- Cast Members of MAGIC MIKE LIVE
- Cast Members of FANTASY
- Cast Members of ABSINTHE
- KLUC’s Chet Buchanan
- Host of MAGIC MIKE LIVE, in-arena host for the Las Vegas Golden Knights and owner of The Space Mark Shunock
- The mascot of the Vegas Golden Knights, Chance
- Cast Members of Tournament of Kings Dinner Show
- Cast Members of CHIPPENDALES
- Cast Members of BAZ—Star Crossed Love
- Cast Members of Zumanity by Cirque du Soleil
- Cast members of Thunder From Down Under
- Cast members from WOW
- Cast members from Inferno: The Fire Spectacular
- Forrest Griffin, Former UFC Light Heavy Weight Champion and Hall of Famer
- Piff the Magic Dragon
- Head Coach Chelis from Las Vegas Lights FC
St. Baldrick’s Day helps raise awareness in the fight against childhood cancer. The funds generated at this event are crucial in supporting research focused on improving treatment options and finding cures for all types of childhood cancers.
About New York-New York
Inspired by the famous energy and landmarks of the iconic original, New York-New York offers all the excitement of the hotel’s namesake, from the provocative and sensuous Cirque du Soleil
production Zumanity and the thrilling Roller Coaster to tantalizing restaurants including Gallagher's Steakhouse and Nine Fine Irishmen, an authentic pub offering the best of Irish drink, food and music. A dynamic new plaza experience features fun and unique dining and retail destinations including a two-story flagship Hershey’s Chocolate World, Shake Shack, Tom’s Urban, Swatch, and Stupidiotic. New York-New York is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM). For more information and reservations, visit newyorknewyork.com
, call toll free at (866) 815-4365 or find us on Facebook
About St. Baldrick’s Foundation
The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives. St. Baldrick’s coordinates its signature head-shaving events worldwide where participants collect pledges to shave their heads in solidarity with kids with cancer, raising money to fund research. Since 2005, St. Baldrick’s has awarded more than $127 million to support lifesaving research, making the Foundation the largest private funder of childhood cancer research grants. St. Baldrick’s funds are granted to some of the most brilliant childhood cancer research experts in the world and to younger professionals who will be the experts of tomorrow. Funds awarded also enable hundreds of local institutions to participate in national pediatric cancer clinical trials, and the new International Scholar grants train researchers to work in developing countries. For more information about the St. Baldrick’s Foundation please call 1.888.899.BALD or visit StBaldricks.org
Christine Moorhead / MacKenzie Ruta
Kirvin Doak Communications