New York-New York Hotel & Casino Raises More Than $400,000 for Childhood Cancer Research at 10th Annual St. Baldrick's Day Head-Shaving Event, March 9, 2019
The Strip’s flagship St. Baldrick’s Foundation event recognized for raising more than $2 million since 2009
LAS VEGAS (March 14, 2019) – Celebrating a decade of raising funds and awareness for childhood cancer research, New York-New York Hotel & Casino raised more than $400,000 to benefit the St. Baldrick’s Foundation during its 10th annual head-shaving event on Saturday, March 9.
In addition to the $2 million raised by the landmark event over the last decade, hotel executives have a goal to surpass last year’s total of more than $600,000 raised by the end of this year and are on track to do so with the contributions continuing to come in. Throughout the day, more than 215 volunteers braved the shave at the hands of Las Vegas’ biggest public figures and celebrities, including Congresswoman Susie Lee, former Mayor of Las Vegas Oscar Goodman and casts from top shows such as ABSINTHE, ZUMANITY, Magic Mike Live and OPIUM.
Highlights from this year’s event include:
- St. Baldrick’s Foundation Chief Development Officer Anja Kloch presented Brent Cook, Vice President of Food & Beverage at New York-New York Hotel & Casino, with a framed certificate recognizing the more than $2 million raised by the property over the course of ten years, making this a landmark event for the organization.
- Congresswoman Susie Lee was onsite to shave the head of one of her staffers and commended the crowd and event attendees for their commitment to the fight against childhood cancer research.
- Former Mayor of Las Vegas Oscar Goodman made a special appearance to shave the head of longtime supporter and Las Vegas Review-Journal entertainment columnist John Katsilometes.
- MGM Resorts International Executive Vice President and General Counsel John McManus was recognized as a top donor for New York-New York Hotel & Casino’s St. Baldrick’s Day event for a fifth year, raising more than $1 million to date for the cause. The ladies of FANTASY at Luxor Hotel and Casino were onsite to do the honors of shaving the executive’s head while his beard was shaved off by his son.
- The all-day event was co-hosted by Vegas Golden Knights in-arena announcers Mark Shunock and Big D and New York-New York Hotel Operations Director James Healey, a longtime supporter of the annual event.
Throughout the day, Las Vegas’ biggest names in entertainment and most celebrated public figures turned out to serve as celebrity head-shavers, including:
- Congresswoman Susie Lee
- Former Mayor Oscar Goodman
- Cast members from Magic Mike Live – Las Vegas
- Cast members from OPIUM
- Cast members from ABSINTHE
- Comedian John Caparulo
- Las Vegas Aces standout Carolyn Swords
- Cast of Cirque du Soleil’s ZUMANITY
- KLUC-FM radio personality Kayla Walker
- Cast of WOW – World of Wonder
- Human Nature
- Cast of Chippendales
- Cast members from Legends In Concert
- Cast of Thunder From Down Under
- Cast of FANTASY
- Cast members from Tournament of Kings
- Coyote Ugly Girls
- Chance, mascot of the Vegas Golden Knights
- Cosmo, mascot of the Las Vegas Aviators
New York-New York’s St. Baldrick’s event helps raise funds and awareness for the fight against childhood cancer. The funds generated at this event are crucial in supporting research focused on improving treatment options and finding cures for all types of childhood cancers.
About New York-New York
Inspired by the famous energy and landmarks of the iconic original, New York-New York offers all the excitement of the hotel’s namesake, from the provocative and sensuous Cirque du Soleil production Zumanity and the thrilling Roller Coaster to tantalizing restaurants including Gallagher’s Steakhouse and Nine Fine Irishmen, an authentic pub offering the best of Irish drink, food and music. A dynamic outdoor experience features fun and unique dining and retail destinations including a two-story flagship Hershey’s Chocolate World, Shake Shack, Tom’s Urban, Swatch, and Stupidiotic. New York-New York is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM). For more information and reservations, visit newyorknewyork.com, call toll free at (866) 815-4365 or find us on Facebook and Twitter.
About St. Baldrick’s Foundation
The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives. St. Baldrick’s coordinates its signature head-shaving events worldwide where participants collect pledges to shave their heads in solidarity with kids with cancer, raising money to fund research. Since 2005, St. Baldrick’s has awarded more than $127 million to support lifesaving research, making the Foundation the largest private funder of childhood cancer research grants. St. Baldrick’s funds are granted to some of the most brilliant childhood cancer research experts in the world and to younger professionals who will be the experts of tomorrow. Funds awarded also enable hundreds of local institutions to participate in national pediatric cancer clinical trials, and the new International Scholar grants train researchers to work in developing countries. For more information about the St. Baldrick’s Foundation please call 1.888.899.BALD or visit StBaldricks.org.
# # #
Thomas Judd / Taylor Pickle
Kirvin Doak Communications – 702.737.3100