MGM Springfield’s Open-Air Destination
Anchored between two historic buildings—The Armory and French Congressional Church—The Plaza at MGM Springfield is a lively open-air hotspot where guests can enjoy daily activations including events, food carts, farmers markets, a seasonal ice skating rink and more.
The Plaza reflects MGM Springfield’s commitment to the local community, partnering with the Business Improvement District to bring popular downtown events to the resort. Whether it’s hosting beer and music nights from White Lion Brewery or yoga sessions by Simply Grace studio, there is something for everyone on The Plaza.
Below is a sampling of guest experiences at The Plaza throughout the year.
- Retail Collection – Local staple Kringle Candles, located in the beautifully repurposed French Congressional Church, and Springfield-born Indian Motorcycle’s first retail store are anchor tenants of the property’s retail collection.
- Attractions– Visitors are encouraged to check out MGM Springfield’s Topgolf ® Swing Suite, the first high-tech golf simulator of its kind in the region available to the public, along with the first “Western Mass News Experience,” a stand-alone news studio that allows passersby to peek in and take a quick selfie when not in use.
- Local Entertainment and Events – The Plaza brings a bevy of beloved Springfield events to the resort, such as the Cruise Night local car show, Springfield Jam Fest concert, gatherings from White Lion Brewery, the Springfield Quartet from Symphony Hall and a spring concert series. Visitors also can soak in the sights and sounds presented by roaming entertainment and musicians or try their hand at a variety of outdoor games such as giant Jenga and cornhole.
- Farmers Market – Guests have the chance to interact with and buy from local artisans and vendors selling their wares and produce, including fresh fruits and vegetables from Massachusetts and handmade works of art. Guests also can grab gelato or other tasty treats from MGM Springfield’s custom Piaggi food carts, imported from Italy.
- Outdoor Yoga – MGM Springfield has partnered with Simply Grace yoga studio to celebrate two centuries-old therapies for the mind, body and soul: beer and yoga. Open to the public, “Stretches and Spirits” acts as a fixture on The Plaza and invites yogis and beer lovers to enjoy a little namaste and IPA at the same time.
- Pop-Up Art Gallery – The Armory houses rotating pop-up art galleries where local artists showcase their work throughout the year, including the first is by local muralist and UMASS Amherst professor John Simpson whose mural of Indian Motorcycles can be seen on the back of The Armory.
- Halloween at The Armory – When October rolls around, The Armory will become the spookiest spot in town. The Plaza and Armory will overflow with spine-tingling activations at this multi-sensory installation.
- Ice Skating Rink – Toward the end of the year, the outdoor space will transform into a winter wonderland. Visitors of all ages will welcome the snow’s arrival at The Plaza’s ice skating rink and enjoy pop-up activations—from a hot chocolate stand to photo opportunities with Santa Claus.
- Sports Central – TAP Sports Bar, overlooking Armory Square located directly in front of The Armory, is the premier spot for local sports fans to cheer on their favorite teams. For every major New England sporting event, Armory Square evolves into the ultimate tailgate with activations and giant screens playing the games from TAP Sports Bar.