Michael Mina and Adam Sobel Unveil Coastal Italian Menu Coming to MGM Springfield
Regional and Global Ingredients Will Shine at New England Resort this August
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (June 21, 2018) – Renowned Chef Michael Mina and Chef Adam Sobel have unveiled the coastal-inspired menu of their latest culinary collaboration, Cal Mare, debuting at MGM Springfield August 24, 2018. Pairing fresh New England seafood with flavors of Italy’s Amalfi Coast, Cal Mare’s menu will focus on premium ingredients and simple preparations, ranging from rustic handmade pastas and brick-oven pizzas to whole grilled fish and more.
“Coastal Italian cuisine is my passion so to have access to the most amazing shellfish, oysters, clams and line-caught fish in the country is incredible - the bounty from the Atlantic will make our menu sing!,” said Cal Mare Chef Creator Adam Sobel. “The venue is all about delicious and thoughtful cuisine delivered in a very approachable way and I can’t wait to welcome locals and visiting guests to experience our restaurant. Whether they want to grab a pizza at the bar, relax with friends or celebrate a special occasion, we’ve created an environment that will have something for everyone to enjoy.”
Cal Mare’s cuisine is inspired by Chef Sobel’s travels throughout Italy, visiting the regions of Lazio, Campania, Sicilia and Puglia, as well as the hillsides just outside of Rome. Separated into distinct offerings, the menu will invite each guest to choose their epicurean journey:
- Crudo Raw Bar: A wide variety of fresh crudos will abound, marrying raw seafood and Italian ingredients. Limoncello granita, pink peppercorn and borage will adorn Kusshi Oysters, while Kampachi Crudo will sit on a bed of grilled peaches, basil and finger lime.
- Antipasti Small Plates: Delicious hot and cold selections perfect for sharing will tease the taste buds. Exploring sweet and savory flavors, the Warm Zeppole will feature prosciutto, stracciatella ice cream and caramelized onions; Insalata Tricolore will captivate with cantaloupe, polenta croutons and basil vinaigrette. Warm Veal Ricotta Meatballs, drawing on classic Italian inspiration, will fuse the complex textures of sugo meat sauce and grilled semolina bread.
- Homemade Pastas: No Italian meal is complete without hand-crafted gourmet pastas. Specially made in-house daily, Egg Yolk Bucatini will be prepared with braised oxtail, caramelized onions and topped with parmigiano, and the Agnolotti Al Ragú will feature slow-cooked Bolognese and fonduta. The bold Rigatoni “All’amatriciana Di Mare” will delight with smoked tuna belly, guanciale and pecorino romano.
- Brick Oven Pizzas: Crispy pies will be baked with a variety of toppings including flavorful meat and seafood. From the Macellaio, dressed with soppressata, savory sausage and mozzarella, to the Spicy Crab with zucchini, fennel pollen and zesty calabrian chile, the pizzas will satisfy with every bite.
- Jewels of the Sea: Sourced from regional and international oceans, Cal Mare’s menu will feature a variety of fish in-house every day, complemented by smoked butter, livornese, salsa verde and more. Salted “Pasta-Baked” Branzino from the Eastern Mediterranean island country of Cyprus will deliver a delicate and flaky texture, Tuscan-Fried Whole Red Snapper from New Zealand will offer a firm yet mild nutty essence and regionally sourced Roasted Dorade from Montauk, New York will tempt guests with its rich, succulent and meaty flavor.
- Wood-Fire Grill: Roasted cuts of beef and fish will be prepared nightly including 20 Day Dry-Aged Flannery’s NY Strip with lard-wrapped scallops, Brick-Pressed Chicken on chickpea conserva and Doppio Parmigiana, sauced with veal and eggplant marinara.
Cal Mare was designed by Avenue Interior Design to have a relaxed yet sophisticated coastal Italian aesthetic. Its homestyle vibes will be punctuated by warm textures, such as weathered bricks, bronze and iron finishes, in addition to fluted glass and black-and-white tiles. Industrial lighting will embrace the volume of the space, while pops of brilliant blue pay homage to the beautiful coastal Italian waters, a welcome juxtaposition to the neutral backdrop.
The venue’s façade is sweepingly open, giving guests a full view of the multiple, multi-functional dining options: a bar, main dining room, open show kitchen and pizza counter. Also available is a private dining room with a large communal table, ideal for hosting up to 14 guests and an adjacent wine shop, a relaxing reprieve where guests can enjoy a bottle of wine, wine-by-the-glass and specialty small bites.
Cal Mare will be open seven days a week for lunch and dinner from 11 a.m. - 11 p.m. Hours of operation for the pizza counter and wine shop are 11 a.m. – 2 a.m. and 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., respectively. For more information, visit MGM Springfield online
About MGM Springfield
MGM Springfield covers three city blocks in the heart of downtown Springfield, Mass. Igniting a cultural and economic renaissance in a historic New England city, the approximately 2 million square-foot development, which combines new construction with revived historic buildings, will offer more than 125,000 square feet of gaming space, a 250-room boutique hotel on Main Street and superior spa services, diverse retail and inspired dining headlined by award-winning Chef Michael Mina’s Cal Mare. MGM Springfield also will feature a luxury cinema, bowling lanes, a seasonal skating rink and outdoor marketplace displaying local art, events and talent. MGM Springfield will open August 24, 2018. For additional information, please visit mgmspringfield.com.
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is an S&P 500® global entertainment company with national and international locations featuring best-in-class hotels and casinos, state-of-the-art meetings and conference spaces, incredible live and theatrical entertainment experiences, and an extensive array of restaurant, nightlife and retail offerings. MGM Resorts creates immersive, iconic experiences through its suite of Las Vegas-inspired brands. The MGM Resorts portfolio encompasses 28 unique hotel offerings including some of the most recognizable resort brands in the industry. Expanding throughout the U.S. and around the world, the company opened MGM Cotai in Macau in February 2018. It is also developing MGM Springfield in Massachusetts and debuting the first international Bellagio branded hotel in Shanghai. The 78,000 global employees of MGM Resorts are proud of their company for being recognized as one of FORTUNE® Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies®. For more information visit us at www.mgmresorts.com
Statements in this release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. MGM Springfield has based these statements on management’s current expectations and assumptions and not on historical facts. Examples of these statements include statements regarding the expected opening date of the casino resort and scope of the amenities to be offered. A number of important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such forward-looking statements, including effects of economic and market conditions, competition with other destination travel locations throughout the United States and the world, and the design, timing and costs of the projects and risks relating to permits, licenses, financings, approvals and other contingencies and additional risks and uncertainties described in the MGM Resorts International Form 10-K, Form 10-Q and Form 8-K reports (including all amendments to those reports) filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In providing forward-looking statements, MGM Springfield is not undertaking any duty or obligation to update these statements publicly as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
Natalie Mounier / Kara Rutkin
Kirvin Doak Communications
MGM Resorts International