MGM Springfield’s Open-Air Plaza to Become Outdoor Entertainment Hub for Western Massachusetts
Year-Round Activations to Include Farmers Markets, Ice Skating Rink,
Concert Series, Local Downtown Springfield Events and More
SPRINGFIELD, MA (Aug 1, 2018) – When MGM Springfield debuts August 24, the gaming resort will unveil a lively open-air plaza. Anchored between two historic buildings—the State Armory and First Spiritualist Church—The Plaza will be a hotspot where guests can enjoy daily activations including events, food carts, farmers markets, a seasonal ice skating rink and more.
The Plaza reflects MGM Springfield’s commitment to the local community, partnering with the Business Improvement District to bring popular downtown events to the resort. Whether it’s hosting beer and music nights from White Lion Brewery or yoga sessions by Simply Grace studio, there will be something for everyone on The Plaza.
“The Plaza will be a high-energy gathering place at the heart of the resort, uniting visitors with Springfield locals, businesses and attractions,” said Michael Mathis, president of MGM Springfield. “Our goal is to introduce the region to a new standard of entertainment offerings with everything from farmers markets and pop-up art galleries to concerts and seasonal attractions.”
Below is a sampling of events guests can expect to experience at The Plaza throughout the year:
- Local Entertainment and Events – The Plaza will bring a bevy of beloved Springfield events to the resort, such as the Cruise Night local car show, Springfield Jam Fest concert, gatherings from White Lion Brewery, the Springfield Quartet from Symphony Hall and a spring concert series. Visitors also will be able to soak in the sights and sounds presented by roaming entertainment and musicians, or try their hand at a variety of outdoor games such as giant Jenga and cornhole.
- Farmers Market – A highly anticipated component of The Plaza will be a reoccurring farmers market. Guests will have the chance to interact with and buy from local artisans and vendors selling their wares and produce, including fresh fruits and vegetables from Massachusetts and handmade works of art. Guests also will be able to grab gelato or other tasty treats from MGM Springfield’s custom Piaggi food carts, imported from Italy.
- Outdoor Yoga – MGM Springfield has partnered with Simply Grace yoga studio to celebrate two centuries-old therapies for the mind, body and soul: beer and yoga. Open to the public, “Stretches and Spirits” will be a fixture on The Plaza and invites yogis and beer lovers to enjoy a little namaste and IPA at the same time.
- Pop-Up Art Gallery – The State Armory will be home to a pop-up art gallery where local artists will showcase their work throughout the year.
- Halloween at The Armory – When October rolls around, the Armory will become the spookiest spot in town. The Plaza and Armory will overflow with spine-tingling activations at this multi-sensory installation.
- Ice Skating Rink – Toward the end of the year, the outdoor space will transform into a winter wonderland. Visitors of all ages will welcome the snow’s arrival at The Plaza’s ice skating rink and enjoy pop-up activations—from a hot chocolate stand to photo opportunities with Santa Claus.
- Sports Central – Tap Sports Bar, overlooking historic Armory Square, is positioned to become a premier spot for local sports fans to cheer on their favorite teams. For every major New England sporting event, Armory Square will evolve into the ultimate tailgate with activations and giant screens playing the games from TAP Sports Bar.
Adding to The Plaza’s unique environment is a commissioned work of art by Danish artist Jeppe Hein. The eye-catching, bright red Bench of Expectation elongates the ubiquitous park bench to an almost Seussian degree with winding loops and slides. Visitors will be able to use it as a typical bench or walk around and through its structure to explore and interact with it.
For more information, visit mgmspringfield.com
About MGM Springfield
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Springfield covers three city blocks in the heart of downtown Springfield, Mass. Igniting a cultural and economic renaissance in a historic New England city, the approximately 2 million square-foot development, which combines new construction with revived historic buildings, will offer more than 125,000 square feet of gaming space, a 250-room boutique hotel on Main Street and superior spa services, diverse retail and inspired dining headlined by award-winning Chef Michael Mina’s Cal Mare. MGM Springfield also will feature the seven-screen Regal luxury cinema complex, bowling lanes, a seasonal skating rink and outdoor marketplace displaying local art, events and talent. MGM Springfield will open August 24, 2018. For additional information, please visit mgmspringfield.com.
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is an S&P 500® global entertainment company with national and international locations featuring best-in-class hotels and casinos, state-of-the-art meetings and conference spaces, incredible live and theatrical entertainment experiences, and an extensive array of restaurant, nightlife and retail offerings. MGM Resorts creates immersive, iconic experiences through its suite of Las Vegas-inspired brands. The MGM Resorts portfolio encompasses 28 unique hotel offerings including some of the most recognizable resort brands in the industry. Expanding throughout the U.S. and around the world, the company in 2018 opened MGM COTAI in Macau and the first Bellagio-branded hotel in Shanghai. It also is developing MGM Springfield in Massachusetts. The 78,000 global employees of MGM Resorts are proud of their company for being recognized as one of FORTUNE® Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies®. For more information visit us at mgmresorts.com
Statements in this release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. MGM Springfield has based these statements on management’s current expectations and assumptions and not on historical facts. Examples of these statements include statements regarding the expected opening date of the casino resort and scope of the amenities to be offered. A number of important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such forward-looking statements, including effects of economic and market conditions, competition with other destination travel locations throughout the United States and the world, and the design, timing and costs of the projects and risks relating to permits, licenses, financings, approvals and other contingencies and additional risks and uncertainties described in the MGM Resorts International Form 10-K, Form 10-Q and Form 8-K reports (including all amendments to those reports) filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In providing forward-looking statements, MGM Springfield is not undertaking any duty or obligation to update these statements publicly as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
# # #
Natalie Mounier / Kara Rutkin
Kirvin Doak Communications