MGM Springfield Previews Whimsical Lobby and Suite Collection Designs
Details conjure the literary and industrial heritage of Springfield
SPRINGFIELD, MA (June 8, 2018) – MGM Springfield has unveiled the designs for the lobby and suite collection within the $960 million resort and casino debuting August 24, 2018. A staircase to nowhere. A wall of oversized book spines. A chandelier of vintage hats. No, this isn’t a Dr. Seuss story—it’s just a few of the surprising design moments guests will encounter at MGM Springfield.
Drawing inspiration from Springfield’s past, MGM Springfield’s interior spaces will incorporate architectural elements from the layered period styles of neighboring buildings, while taking cues from the city’s literary and industrial heritage. Mixing contemporary design and storied local narrative, the result will be a sophisticated and inviting destination with a strong sense of place.
“MGM Springfield will fit seamlessly into the historic character of Downtown Springfield, while creating a landmark destination for entertainment and excitement,” said Michael Mathis, president of MGM Springfield. "Our design celebrates what is authentic while spotlighting the iconographs of the region’s past in creative ways.”
MGM Springfield’s lobby is the prelude for the resort’s overarching design philosophy, creating a welcoming arrival for guests to congregate and socialize. Drawing Main Street’s historic character indoors, the lobby will feature familiar red-brick accents, eclectic area rugs, soaring glass windows and floor-to-ceiling bookshelves filled with vintage novels and leather-bound classics. MGM Resorts collaborated with Avenue Interior Design to bring the spectacular lobby to life.
- A Welcome Reception: Vintage printing press letter blocks spelling out “MGM Springfield” – collected from antique letterpresses – will be displayed behind the resort’s front desk, creating a statement wall signifying the destination. A bespoke cocktail bar adjacent to check-in will invite guests to mingle while marveling at a vintage spiral staircase leading toward the vaulted ceiling overhead.
- Take a Seat: Offering nodes of intimate seating and clusters for group activity, the lobby will be an inviting social hub at all hours. Custom-designed couches and armchairs in rich hues and varying upholsteries will evoke the sense of a hand-curated collection of antiques one might find in a personal library, while high-top communal tables will provide space for gathering, complete with a selection of board games. Inset seating vignettes will create cozy nooks, such as a burgundy velvet-draped settee inspired by classical theatre.
- Going Up: With keys in hand, guests will proceed to the hotel tower’s elevator vestibule. A restored 19th Century antique chandelier procured from a bygone music hall will illuminate the space. The elevator cars, inspired by the double-paneled cabs found in lofts, will feature custom iron grating and peekaboo glass doors that offer a view between each floor on the way up. Across from the elevator bay, a digital wall cover will display book spines penned by prominent authors, including Springfield-born Emily Dickinson.
Envisioned by MGM Resorts Design, each of the 16 luxurious suites will offer natural light and sightlines of the city’s surrounding architecture. Unexpected details, found objects and haberdashery-inspired fabrics will lend a worldly yet residential feel. Accents including subway tiles and wired glass shower doors will play to the industrial structure, while art, floral elements and soft upholstery will enhance the comfortable vibe. Selections will include the Rotunda Suite, End Suite, Bay Suite, Garden and Spa Suites and the Presidential Suite.
- By Design: Masculine and feminine touches will balance the Rotunda, End and Bay Suites through contrasting patterns of plaid and florals. An accent wall filled with trophies will punctuate each suite – a wink to Springfield’s legacy as the birthplace of basketball. Other architectural elements will echo the aesthetics of eras past.
- Room with a View: The 1,100-square-foot Garden and Spa Suites, located on the second floor, will boast access to the outdoor pool or garden through private patios. The accommodations will be outfitted with a bespoke wood table crafted from the salvaged trees of former Bliss Street, which has become integrated into MGM Springfield’s site.
- Tip of the Hat: On the top floor, the one-bedroom, 1,600-square-foot Presidential Suite will capture the essence of Springfield native Dr. Seuss. A custom chandelier featuring vintage hats reflects the many hats Theodore Geisel wore in real life and is the centerpiece of the space.
In the coming months, MGM Springfield will continue to unveil additional details about the property. For more information, visit mgmspringfield.com
About MGM Springfield
MGM Springfield covers three city blocks in the heart of downtown Springfield, Mass. Igniting a cultural and economic renaissance in a historic New England city, the approximately 2 million square-foot development, which combines new construction with revived historic buildings, will offer more than 125,000 square feet of gaming space, a 250-room boutique hotel on Main Street and superior spa services, diverse retail and inspired dining headlined by award-winning Chef Michael Mina’s Cal Mare. MGM Springfield also will feature a luxury cinema, bowling lanes, a seasonal skating rink and outdoor marketplace displaying local art, events and talent. MGM Springfield will open August 24, 2018. For additional information, please visit mgmspringfield.com.
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is an S&P 500® global entertainment company with national and international locations featuring best-in-class hotels and casinos, state-of-the-art meetings and conference spaces, incredible live and theatrical entertainment experiences, and an extensive array of restaurant, nightlife and retail offerings. MGM Resorts creates immersive, iconic experiences through its suite of Las Vegas-inspired brands. The MGM Resorts portfolio encompasses 28 unique hotel offerings including some of the most recognizable resort brands in the industry. Expanding throughout the U.S. and around the world, the company opened MGM Cotai in Macau in February 2018. It is also developing MGM Springfield in Massachusetts and debuting the first international Bellagio branded hotel in Shanghai. The 78,000 global employees of MGM Resorts are proud of their company for being recognized as one of FORTUNE® Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies®. For more information visit us at www.mgmresorts.com
Statements in this release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. MGM Springfield has based these statements on management’s current expectations and assumptions and not on historical facts. Examples of these statements include statements regarding the expected opening date of the casino resort and scope of the amenities to be offered. A number of important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such forward-looking statements, including effects of economic and market conditions, competition with other destination travel locations throughout the United States and the world, and the design, timing and costs of the projects and risks relating to permits, licenses, financings, approvals and other contingencies and additional risks and uncertainties described in the MGM Resorts International Form 10-K, Form 10-Q and Form 8-K reports (including all amendments to those reports) filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In providing forward-looking statements, MGM Springfield is not undertaking any duty or obligation to update these statements publicly as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
# # #
Natalie Mounier / Kara Rutkin
Kirvin Doak Communications