MGM Springfield will be a premier entertainment destination in Massachusetts, combining large-scalre events at the MassMutual Center with lively outdoor activations on the plaza.
Opening August 24, 2018, MGM Springfield will be New England’s first integrated luxury resort and entertainment destination
MGM Resorts to Debut New England’s First Luxury Gaming Resort on August 24, 2018
$960 Million MGM Springfield Marks Largest Private Investment in Western Massachusetts’ History
SPRINGFIELD, MASS. – Expanding its presence on the East Coast, MGM Resorts will debut MGM Springfield, the Commonwealth’s first integrated luxury resort and entertainment destination, on August 24, 2018. The $960 million project will celebrate Springfield’s rich heritage while establishing its role as the gateway to New England.
As the largest private investment in the history of Western Massachusetts, MGM Springfield is at the forefront of the burgeoning revitalization of Springfield, primed to attract thousands of new travelers from the region and beyond.
The property will span 14 acres and three blocks within the heart of the historic city. Igniting a cultural and economic renaissance, the development will encompass a 250-room boutique hotel, gourmet dining options, well-curated retail stores, tranquil spa facilities, more than 125,000 square feet of gaming space and an 8,000-seat entertainment and events venue via a partnership with MassMutual Center. Interactive entertainment elements such as a contemporary cinema, bowling complex, seasonal skating rink and an outdoor marketplace spotlighting local art, events and talent will round out the resort’s offerings.
MGM Springfield’s design will fuse modern construction with historical buildings—including First Spiritualist Church, Springfield Armory and Chandler Union Hotel—to pay tribute to the city’s revered past while delivering entirely new experiences for guests. Serving as an integral part of the community, its retail and dining options will accessible via Main Street, allowing visitors easy access between the property’s shops and restaurants and other Downtown Springfield attractions.
A Glimpse into MGM Springfield:
Located approximately 80 miles west of Boston, Springfield boasts a 375-year legacy as a major crossroads of New England. Among the city’s numerous draws are the Basketball Hall of Fame—a shrine to the sport in its founding locale—and The Amazing World of Dr. Seuss Museum, a recently debuted interactive center devoted to literary great and Springfield native Theodor Geisel.
Immediate access to Interstate 91 and the Mass. Pike, as well as nearby Bradley International Airport in Hartford and the Amtrak-serviced Union Station, make MGM Springfield well connected and accessible to local and global audiences.
In the coming months, MGM Springfield will unveil more details about the offerings and amenities available to guests. For more information, visit mgmspringfield.com.
About MGM Resorts International
- Accommodations – MGM Springfield’s six-story boutique-style hotel will be a whimsical-yet-sophisticated retreat. Design details—including factory-style paned glass and Edison bulb fixtures—will harken to Springfield’s industrial roots, while eclectic artwork will evoke the locale’s creative iconography, visually referencing Dr. Seuss, Emily Dickinson and Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
- Retail – New England’s own Kringle Candle is the first partner to announce new boutique locations within MGM Springfield’s shopping collection. The much-anticipated retail lineup will animate MGM Springfield’s street-level with exciting offerings, creating a vibrant interface with Springfield’s revitalized downtown experience.
- Art – Woven through all elements of the resort, a public art program will feature a captivating collection of commissioned and hand-selected pieces, including an exclusive exhibit developed in partnership with Springfield Museums: “Cabinet of Curiosities: Springfield Innovations from the Springfield Museums.” The specially curated exhibition will embody the enterprising legacy of Springfield, showcasing turn-of-the-century objects such as a 1925 Edison Western Union Stock Ticker, a 1915 Springfield-made Telegraphone, an 1895 Edison Home Phonograph, thoughtfully placed throughout the resort.
- Food & Beverage - MGM Springfield will offer an array of food-and-beverage spots, including MGM's signature TAP Sports Bar, the bustling South End Market off Main Street and numerous new-to-market concepts ranging from specialty restaurants and fast-casual venues to in-room dining.
- Entertainment – The 8,000-seat MassMutual Center is MGM Springfield’s official entertainment venue, serving as the home for large-scale conventions and events along with its 100,000-square-foot convention center. As one of the world’s leading presenters of live entertainment, MGM Resorts International will leverage its pipeline of global relationships to attract first-rate events, reinforcing the city’s reputation as the region’s premier entertainment hub. MGM Springfield also will partner with other local venues such as Symphony Hall.
- Open-Air Plaza – Inspired by the classic New England town common, MGM Springfield will create a lively outdoor plaza and thriving public space, with the iconic 19th century Springfield Armory at the center. The historic United States arsenal will offer a remarkable backdrop for an open-air marketplace, which will offer live events, local artisans, a weekly farmers market and seasonal programming including an outdoor ice rink. The plaza will become the anchor for the neighborhood’s pedestrian crowd, encouraging guests to explore the many local businesses and historical sites nearby.
- Enjoyment for all – Extending from the outdoor plaza, the resort will offer several multi-use amenities, including an eight-screen movie theater complex; 10-lane bowling center; serene spa; and an 8,000-square-foot pool situated within a terraced rooftop garden.
- Meetings & Events – In addition to large-scale convention capabilities at MassMutual Center, MGM Springfield will offer approximately 44,000 square feet of meeting-and-event space to accommodate events ranging from business to social gatherings.
- Casino – An expansive, 125,000-square-foot gaming floor will feature approximately 2,550 slot machines, 120 gaming tables, a poker room and high-limit VIP gaming area for a variety of experiences.
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is an S&P 500® global entertainment company with national and international locations featuring best-in-class hotels and casinos, state-of-the-art meetings and conference spaces, incredible live and theatrical entertainment experiences, and an extensive array of restaurant, nightlife and retail offerings. MGM Resorts creates immersive, iconic experiences through its suite of Las Vegas-inspired brands. The MGM Resorts portfolio encompasses 27 unique hotel offerings including some of the most recognizable resort brands in the industry. The company is expanding throughout the U.S. and around the world, developing MGM Springfield in Massachusetts and MGM COTAI in Macau, and debuting the first international Bellagio branded hotel in Shanghai. The 77,000 global employees of MGM Resorts are proud of their company for being recognized as one of FORTUNE® Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies®. For more information visit us at mgmresorts.com.
Statements in this release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. MGM Springfield has based these statements on management’s current expectations and assumptions and not on historical facts. Examples of these statements include statements regarding the expected opening date of the casino resort and scope of the amenities to be offered. A number of important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such forward-looking statements, including effects of economic and market conditions, competition with other destination travel locations throughout the United States and the world, and the design, timing and costs of the projects and risks relating to permits, licenses, financings, approvals and other contingencies and additional risks and uncertainties described in the MGM Resorts International Form 10-K, Form 10-Q and Form 8-K reports (including all amendments to those reports) filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In providing forward-looking statements, MGM Springfield is not undertaking any duty or obligation to update these statements publicly as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
# # #
Kirvin Doak Communications
MGM Resorts Public Relations